Alright guys, it’s Thanksgiving Weekend. That means a full weekend family reunions and SO SO much food. My dads side of the family came over on Saturday and my job was to make the desert. So I decided to put a twist on the traditional apple pie. I decided to make some apple pie cupcakes. O.M.G. They are the best ! They do take some time to make but… my! oh! my! is it worth it ! They were a giant hit and since I made two dozen the guests got to bring some home ! Lucky them.
There are 3 parts to these cupcakes : the maple cupcake, the apple filling and the maple buttercream icing.
First, you want to mix your sugar and butter until well blended together. Then, add two eggs until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Then (because I didn’t have any vanilla on hand) I added some maple syrup ! Do it. Seriously. So amazing.
Then combine the cake flour, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon and milk.
Heat up your oven up to 350 F and line a cupcake pan with liners. I have a special pan that creates holes in your cupcakes for fillings but if you don’t have such a pan (no worries) just carve a hole in your cupcakes once they are cooked and stuff them with apple pie filling ! To make things easy, I put the cupcake batter in a large freezer ziplock bag, cut the corner and piped the mix directly in the liners.
When they come out of the oven, they look weird.. just saying. But DON’T PANIC, we are going to use all that weirdness and make a delicious cupcake !
Set these aside and let them cool. Then we get started on the Apple pie filling.
Put your apples, butter, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Let them cook for about 5 minutes or until the apples are soft.
This is were the fun starts ! Lets destroy our cupcakes ! I thought my cupcakes looked horrible so I decide I would take the tops of them. Then I crumbled them up and mixed them into the apple pie filling !
Scoop up those yummy apples and fill up your cupcakes ! The more the better !
If you thought this is good, let’s get started on the icing ! Ohh the sweet goodness ! Simply the beat butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Then, add maple syrup to taste. For the final touch, I put a dollop of icing on top of every cupcake and VOILÀ !
Maple Cinnamon Apple Pie Cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 11/2 cake flour (if you don’t have any on hand you can whip some up ! Here is a simple recipe from Joythebaker)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 tbsp of butter
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 apples (of your choice, peeled and diced)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 cups of icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup (or more… to taste !)
- Mix together sugar, brown sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add 2 eggs and beat the mixture until light and fluffy.
- Mix in cake flour, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, butter, maple syrup and milk.
- Fill cupcake liners with the mixture up to 3/4 of the way.
- Bake in the oven at 350 F for approx. 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and let cool.
- Cut of the tops of the cupcakes (set aside) and dig a small hole in the middle for the apple pie filling.
- Heat up butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, apples and the juice of lemon in a saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Crumble all of the cupcakes tops you set aside and mix in with the filling.
- Scoop as much as you can into the centre of each cupcake !
- Beat butter and sifted icing sugar on high for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add maple syrup.
- Pipe or simply scoop a dollop of frosting onto each cupcake and DIG IN.